Friday, March 14, 2008




MARCH 14, 2008

Six months ago today
You were born
There, in the middle of the night
My world lit up like dawn

I remember holding you close
And falling in love with you immediately
When they said they had to take you
I cried.

When they told me you had to stay
I sobbed
I wanted you with me, right in my arms

I had waited so long for you, and now you weren’t well
I prayed to God that you wouldn’t hurt

Those first few days in the hospital, I learned again
What pure love feels like
What it feels like when I realize I would be willing to take
Any pain if you wouldn’t have to feel it

I stayed by your little bed, holding your tiny foot
Telling you that everything was going to be okay soon

We couldn’t wait to leave—to bring you home
Where you would be surrounded by love

And now we’ve had you half a year…
The time has passed so quickly
I can’t believe we’ve had you this long

So tiny and innocent
Your eyes and smile so big and bright
A piece of heaven in our home.
That’s what you have been.

I am so thankful for you
And so happy to have provided a body for you;
A home for you.

You truly bring us heaven every day, sweet little J

We love you so much!

1 comment:

Deb said...

Your kids are so lucky to have such a talented mom to write poems about them that they will cherish all their lives and be able to pass them on to their grandkids!